Community Benefit Improvement District
Downtown Willow Glen's Community Benefit Improvement District: Serving Willow Glen at the Community Level
Willow Glen’s history, neighborhoods and business district create a unique dynamic within the city of San Jose… To maintain its charm and small town appeal property owners in downtown Willow Glen created a Community Benefit Improvement District (CBID).
A cornerstone for maintaining the renaissance of Downtown Willow Glen.
Willow Glen stands out as a lifestyle center and is hugely improved from the down-days not so many years ago. But in a rapidly evolving climate for retail business and professional services, maintaining this advantage means being able to act fast and focus hard on issues – rather than wait for City Hall to get things done. Your CBID enables the Willow Glen Business Association to do so. Its locally-raised funds enable us to expedite action on issues ranging from graffiti removal and tree trimming to parking management, landscaping and support for community events. The result: A reliable foundation for maintaining, improving and promoting San Jose’s most popular business district.
Funded and managed locally to benefit Willow Glen.
San Jose features a wide range of business districts. Only Willow Glen offers your business the advantages of having a CBID. These are two-fold:
- Having a CBID in no way decreases the services that the City of San Jose is obligated to provide Willow Glen.
- The money that property owners contribute to the CBID for Downtown Willow Glen goes directly to improving and maintaining this business district and nowhere else. It’s your money spent where it matters most: Locally. Funds raised in Willow Glen stay in Willow Glen.
There are no single players when it comes to maintaining and promoting any business district. Even though many issues are best handled at the community level, doing so has to be done in partnership with the City, property owners, business owners, residents and customers. Our CBID provides the WGBA vital leverage to do this. Raising money from assessments on every parcel in the district, it provides a guaranteed financial base for maintaining and enhancing Downtown Willow Glen – and a springboard for funding events and promotions that are enormously popular and contribute greatly to WGBA’s annual budget, allowing the WGBA to do even more.
CBID by the numbers.
For more details on Willow Glen’s CBID and its benefits check out the Frequently Asked Questions, Finance and Services pages or click here to download the Fall 2017 Update on the Willow Glen CBID. Here is a brief summary of the CBID:
- Willow Glen’s CBID was approved by property owners within the the CBID footprint in 2008; it was implemented in 2010.
- Since its implementation in 2010 the CBID has provided over $1.7 million toward improving, maintaining and promoting the Downtown Willow Glen business district. The WGBA has leveraged this stable source of funds by creating events and promotions that have raised additional funds.
- CBID benefits over 300 businesses in Downtown Willow Glen.
- Local oversight for more than 30 critical services is empowered by CBID including:
- Sidewalk maintenance
- Graffiti and trash removal
- Landscape maintenance, tree trimming and plantings
- Parking space rental in the Bank of America lot for public parking
- Advertising and promotion of the district
- Special events to bring consumers to the district
All property owners and businesses located within the footprint of the CBID are automatically members of the WGBA with no annual membership dues. Businesses located outside of the CBID may apply for associate membership in the WGBA for an annual fee.